Adopted September 1, 2019
Modified February 20, 2020
We are committed to safeguarding your personal privacy. We recognize that you have a right to own your personal information and control how it is collected and used. Providing personal information is an act of trust and we take it very seriously. Unless given consent to do otherwise, we will only collect and use personal data and information as explained below in the Policy.
Our Policy tells you what data and information we collect from you (“Service Information”) in order to access the Services, what we do with the Information, who can access it, and what you can do about it.
Our Policy also explains how we handle data, information and content that you provide Meld while accessing its Services (“Service Data”).
Our websites, products and services are not intended to appeal to minors under the age of sixteen (16). We do not knowingly collect personal information from minors, and no one under the age of 16 may provide us any personal information on or through our products and services. If we learn we have received personal information from someone under 16 without verification or parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us through the contact information below.
Service Information We Collect
We collect Service Information to provide the Services for which you registered and for us to continue to improve products and services we offer. We obtain Service Information from you in three ways: you actively provide it to us, we passively collect it as you use our Services, and we obtain it from third parties as you interface with other services related to Meld.
Here are the types of Service Information you actively provide to us, necessary to access the Services provided through the Meld platform:
- Account signup. When you sign up for an account to access one or more of our services, we ask for information like your name, contact number, email address, company name and country to complete the account signup process. You’ll also be required to choose a unique username and a password for accessing the created account. You may also provide us with more information such as your photo, time zone and language, but we don’t require that information to sign up for an account. After signing up, you may have the option of choosing a security question and an answer to the security question — if you provide these, they will be used only while resetting your password.
- Event registrations and other form submissions.We record information that you submit when you: (i) register for any event, including webinars or seminars, (ii) subscribe to our newsletter or any other mailing list, (iii) submit a form in order to download any product, whitepaper, or other materials, (iv) participate in contests or respond to surveys, or (v) submit a form to request customer support or to contact us for any other purpose.
- Payment processing. When you subscribe to our service, we ask you to provide your name, contact information, and credit card information or other payment account information. When you submit your card information, we store the name and address of the cardholder, the expiry date and the last four digits of the credit card number. We do not store the actual credit card number. For quick processing of future payments, if you have given us your approval, we may store your credit card information or other payment information in an encrypted format in the secured servers of our payment service providers.
- Testimonials. When you authorize us to post testimonials about our products and services on websites, we may include your name and other personal information in the testimonial. You will be given an opportunity to review and approve the testimonial before we post it. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at any time.
- Your interactions with us. We may record, analyze and use your interactions with us, including email, telephone, and chat conversations with our sales and customer support professionals, for improving our interactions with you and other customers.
Service Information also includes data and information that we collect passively based on your interactions with us. For example, when you visit one of our websites or use our software, we automatically log basic information such as how you got to the site, where you navigated within it, and what features and settings you use. We use this data and information to improve our websites and services and to drive new product development.
Service Information that we will collect automatically:
- Information from browsers, devices and servers. When you visit our websites or use our applications, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices and servers make available, such as the internet protocol address, browser type, language preference, time zone, referring URL, date and time of access, operating system, mobile device manufacturer and mobile network information. We include these in our log files to understand more about visitors to our websites.
- Information from application logs and mobile analytics. We collect information about your use of our products, services and mobile applications from application logs and in-house usage analytics tools, and use it to understand how your business use and needs can improve our products. This information includes clicks, scrolls, features accessed, access time and frequency, errors generated, performance data, storage utilized, user settings and configurations, and devices used to access and their locations.
We also receive some Service Information indirectly from third parties. If you ask about our products through one of our referral programs or reselling partners, or sign in to one of our products through an authentication service provider like LinkedIn or Google, they will pass on your contact information to us. We will use that information to complete the request that you made. If you engage with our brand on social media (for instance, liking, commenting, retweeting, mentioning, or following us), we’ll have access to your interactions and profile information. We’ll still have that information even if you later remove it from the social media site.
Examples of third-party Service Information we collect:
- Signups from authentication service providers. You may log in to using supported authentication service providers such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Google. These services will authenticate your identity and give you the option to share certain personal information with us, such as your name and email address.
- Referrals. If someone has referred any of our products or services to you through any of our referral programs, that person may have provided us your name, email address and other personal information. You may contact us to request that we remove your information from our database. If you provide us information about another person, or if another person gives us your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
- Information from social media sites and other public sources. When you interact or engage with us on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram through posts, comments, questions and other interactions, we may collect such publicly available information, including profile information, to allow us to connect with you, improve our products, or better understand user reactions and issues. We must tell you that once collected, this information may remain with us even if you delete it from the social media sites. We may also add and update information about you, from other publicly available sources.
- Data collected from mobile devices. We also collect information from and about the mobile devices you use to access the Services. This includes things like IP addresses, the type of browser and device you use, the web page you visited before coming to our sites, WiFi network names, advertising identifiers and any other identifiers associated with your devices. Your devices (depending on their settings) may also transmit location information to us. This helps us improve our Services and provide you support.
How And Why We Use Service Information
We use Service Information to provide the actual Services you requested, create and maintain your Meld accounts, and keep an eye out for unauthorized activity on your accounts. We also use it to communicate with you about the products you are currently using, your customer support requests, new products you may like, chances for you to give us feedback, and updates to our terms of service or this Policy. We analyze Service Information to understand user needs and to improve our websites and services generally.
We will also use Service Information for any other purpose as we may deem reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
We keep Service Information for as long as it is required for the purposes stated in this Policy. When we no longer have a legitimate need to process Service Information connected to you, we will delete, anonymize, or isolate that information, whichever is appropriate, within a reasonable time.
Who We Share Service Information With
We limit access to Service Information to our employees and contractors who have a legitimate need to use it. If we share Service Information with other parties (like developers, service providers, domain registrars, and reselling partners), they must have appropriate security measures and a valid reason for using Service Information, those reasons typically being to serve you or to facilitate your experience with Meld and our Services.
Legal Authority To Collect Service Information
The laws of some jurisdictions require us to state the legal basis for collecting and processing Service Information that may include your personal data.
If we need the Service Information to provide the service you’ve requested from us, and you decline to provide that information, then you will not have access to that service. By providing that or any other information and proceeding with the service, you have given your consent to us collecting that information. When we rely on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time, but withdrawal does not affect any processing that has already taken place.
We may also have a legitimate business interest in collecting Service Information obtained through our website or applications. If we rely on this basis for collecting information without requiring your consent, we will clearly explain to you what those legitimate interests are when we collect Service Information belonging to you.
We also need to use and disclose Service Information in certain ways to comply with our legal obligations.
You can decline to provide certain kinds of information use either by not providing the information in the first place or by opting out later. You can also disable cookies to prevent your browser from giving us information, but if you do so, certain website features may not work properly.
Your Rights With Respect To Service Information
Following rules established by the European Economic Area (EEA) and specifically those under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that provide certain rights to data subjects (including access, rectification, erasure, restriction of processing, data portability, and the right to object and to complain), we have adopted the following set of rights with respect to the Service Information we collect, and made those applicable to all users:
- Right to access. You have the right to access (and obtain a copy of, if required) the categories of Service Information that we hold about you, including the information’s source, purpose and period of processing, and the persons to whom the information is shared.
- Right to correction or rectification. You have the right to update the Service Information we hold about you or to rectify any inaccuracies. Based on the purpose for which we use Service Information related to you, you can request us to add supplemental information about you in our database.
- Right to erasure. You have the right to request that we delete Service Information related to you in certain circumstances, such as when it is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was originally collected.
- Right to restriction of processing. You may also have the right to request to restrict the use of your Service Information in certain circumstances, such as when you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Right to data portability. You have the right to transfer your Service Information to a third party in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, in circumstances where the Service Information is processed with your consent or by automated means.
- Right to object. You have the right to object to the use of your Service Information in certain circumstances, such as its use in direct marketing.
- Right to complain. You have the right to complain to the appropriate supervisory authority if you have any grievance against the way we collect, use or share Service Information belonging to you. This right may not be available to you if there is no supervisory authority dealing with data protection in your country.
We have a limited capacity to respond to and rectify all rights exercised with regard to Service Information, and if a solution or response is not sufficient to satisfy those rights, you have the option to provide your consent to proceed with using our services as presented, or terminate your use of our services.
“Service Data” is different from Service Information. Service Data means personal data, files and other information that belongs to you (as a user of the Meld platform) created independently of our websites or applications, or that you have lawfully obtained from another party that you directly share or input into our website or applications, or content that you create new within our platform. Service Data may be sent to Meld through other apps and integrations, and may be provided to us through any means you authorize.
To be clear, we do not “collect” Service Data from users of the Meld platform. We merely hold and maintain Service Data for your use with Meld.
You own your Service Data. We protect it, limit access to it, and only process it according to your instructions. You may access Service Data, share it through third-party integrations, and request that we export or delete it. We hold Service Data in your account as long as you choose to use our Services. After you terminate your account with us, your Serviced Data will be automatically deleted from our active database within 6 months and from our automated data backups within 6 months after that.
If you create Service Data from other people’s data and information while using our apps or website, such as information about your other organizations, customers or employees, then you are entrusting that Service Data to us for processing. Our obligation to maintain such third party Service Data is the same as our obligation to maintain Service Data that you own.
Service Data may likewise be created from information collected by and stored on your mobile device, including the camera, call history, contact information, photo library, location services and other similar information. When you elect to provide access to those means, you give us permission to collect, use and store the information as Service Data. The data stored on your mobile device and their location information to which the mobile applications have access will be used in the context of the mobile application, and transferred to and associated with your account in the corresponding services (in which case the data will be stored on our servers as Service Data). You of course have the option to disable mobile applications’ access to this information at any time by editing the settings on your mobile device, however some Services may not be available if you prohibit access.
Limitations To Our Information And Privacy Obligations
Certain laws limit the privacy we can promise you. We will disclose personal Service Information only if it’s necessary to comply with a legal obligation, prevent fraud, enforce an agreement, or protect our users’ safety. We do not currently honor Do Not Track signals from internet browsers; when a universal standard for processing those signals emerges, we will follow it.
Our Ongoing Commitment To Our Customers
You can always contact us to ask questions about our privacy practices, alert us if you believe we have collected personal data from a minor, or ask to have your personal information removed from our blogs or forums. If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal data to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Where practicable, we will allow you to deal with us on an anonymous or pseudonymous basis. However, where it is not practicable for the purposes for which information is collected, we may seek certain personal information covered by this Policy.
We will review the terms of this Policy on a regular basis, and will make those updated versions available here. We will contact you if we decide to make any major changes to this Policy. We will also contact you to explain how Service Information and Service Data will be handled in the highly unlikely event that we ever decide to sell our business.
The contact information for making any request under this Policy is:
Data Protection Officer
3007 Albemarle St NW,
Washington DC, 20008
Please allow 30 days for any request to be processed. On receipt of your query, problem or complaint we will conduct a review and communicate any findings with you if requested or as necessary.